Saturday, July 14, 2012

Translation


It was a busy Saturday. The next minute after I finished with the College meeting, I found myself hurrying to a small street in Jordan. It was the final examination of Euterpe’s singing class, and the time was just about right to pick up my princess.

 Vivian was also there. We eagerly thanked Miss Ki – the music teacher of Euterpe. Time flies; my daughter has been attending this weekend class for two years, and she certainly enjoyed it very much.

*******************************
On our way home, Euterpe pointed to a signboard and asked, “Daddy, why should the Chinese and English names of this place both pronounced as Lam Tin (藍田)?”

“My dear, that’s because the English name is merely the phonemic translation of the Chinese one.” I explained.

“That’s commonplace. For most of the places in this city, the English name is derived from the Chinese one.” Vivian added.

“But I must say this kind of translation is nothing but sloth,” I remarked, “It is to the least romantic, and also confusing for native English speaking people.”

“Alas, do you mean we should call this place Blue Field?” My wife smiled.

“How about Beryl Field?” I said to myself.

No comments: