Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sprout


While in the States, I was fortunate enough to find myself dinning alone in a local restaurant one evening.

And I was happily surprised to find stir-fried Brussels sprout in the menu.

For those who have not tried this green marble that looks like miniature cabbage, it is difficult to explain what makes it so different from all other vegetables. For me, I first found it in the hospital canteen when I was having training in Bristol. As you expect, all British cook could do with it was boiling and then serve with a pinch of salt – a method that reliably rots its colour and exaggerates its bitterness.

But I soon found the raw and fresh version of it in local British supermarkets, and was selling in an amazingly cheap price. I tried the traditional Chinese way of handling vegetable – stir-frying it with some soy sauce.

And, of course, the rotted grey was actually glittering green, and the bitterness became seductive.

Too bad we can hardly find a vegetable with such a distinct character in our city.

PS. For those who love healthy food and try to lose weight, Brussels sprout makes a perfect dish for dinner. It is rich in vitamins and dietary fiber, and has very low calorie. Moreover, it fills up the stomach and gives you a sense of fullness for many hours.

No comments: