Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Visit


Shortly after I came back from San Diego, my unit was visited by the accreditation group sent by the Hospital Authority.

Our friends outside the solar system call it gap analysis – a visit that aims to identify areas of deficiency so that we could improve before the real accreditation visit takes place. In layman’s language, we call it rehearsal or mock examination. (Yes, I am more than ever amazed with the capability of extra-terrestrials. By giving a new and fancy name to an old concept, there really seems something fresh and different. What’s in a name?)

*********************
Of course, as you would expect, the best way that I could contribute to this gap analysis is not to appear at all. I was more than happy to this suggestion. Seriously I have an eternal difficulty to make the head or tail of the entire business. For example, why should medical wards put up the number of appreciation and complaint as the key performance index? As a practising physician, I believe – for example – the number of unwitnessed cardiac arrest being far more important.

PS. By coincidence I watched the movie Prometheus on my flight back Hong Kong, and am having acute-on-chronic panic attack to aliens recently.

No comments: