Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Standard


Shortly after I survived that evening with a series of unfortunate events, we held the licensing examination in our hospital.

(For visitors outside Hong Kong, the examination is for overseas medical graduates who want to practice in our city.)

I shall not elaborate too much on what happened. To examiners, the event is, as a rule, an eye-opening experience of seeing so-called medical graduates with an exceptionally variable standard. Of course there is, at least partly, some selection bias. Since candidates need to take all clinical subjects at the same time, a doctor who, after graduated from medical school, has a few years of experience in, for example, pediatrics would not do very well in surgery.

Nonetheless, some candidates are really exceptional by any standard. Two years ago, I met a flamboyant man who could not recognize a tendon hammer. This time, I had another cheerful lady who refused to listen to the chest of her patient – because she thought that part of examination was not necessary.

I am surprised I could resist the temptation to ask why she brought along with her a stethoscope.

No comments: