Friday, March 15, 2013

Hacked


Many of you may know I am a regular user of Evernote - a program designed for taking notes. Data are stored in a way to allow both on-line and off-line access. I also use it as a simple word processing software for short documents, because I don't need to worry about saving and filing, and it is a lot more easy to find with the built-in search function.

(For example, this blog is actually written off-line on a page of Evernote.)

I must say I never imagine what could go wrong with this friendly program - until its server was attacked by hacker last week, and its all 50 million users around the world (yes, including me) had to reset our password immediately. (Mobile phones of the Android system have to download a new version of the apps to get the program running again.)

Yes, that's a nuisance, but not too much of a trouble. To me, the unexplainable puzzle is: Who on earth would have the interest to hack the site and steal the data?

"That's silly. Some people may put down in the Notes information of their credit card account or password for their on-line banking." You may say.

Alas, this theory is, in the jargon of logic, physically possible. (In fact, I do write down in my Notes the user name and password of all journals that I have on-line access.) Nonetheless, it is unlikely to be the case.

Let me explain tomorrow.

No comments: