Monday, July 18, 2011

Notes

On the next day I met NT, my classmate and now a professor of chemical pathology, during lunch, and I told him the story of LS.

To my surprise, he was not impressed, "You know, I have just finished with interviewing a group of secondary school students who applied for our medical school."

"Yes...?" I could see my friend had another story to tell.

"Oh, to begin with, I noticed a small but significant subgroup of them only applied to our side, but not the other one across the harbour, and their examination result are all respectable," he continued.

"That's impressive." I nodded.

"And, therefore, I asked each and every one of them why."

"I suppose they did not say there're too much good news recently concerning our sister faculty?" I smiled.

"No, more remarkable than that - and a simple but worrying reason too," my friend went on, "They all said that our teaching is probably better because we distribute a whole lot of handouts and PowerPoint slides - while our friends across the harbour use the problem-based learning and give no lecture notes!"

Alas, I was coming to the conclusion that we have advanced beyond spoon-feeding our students.

We are now bottle-feeding them.

No comments: