Sunday, July 17, 2011

Spelling

Met LS during lunch. She was obviously exhausted.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked.

"No, nothing. I just finished with bedside teaching the new class of third year students - and was absolutely impressed," our professor of rheumatology sighed.

"Eh ...?"

"I showed them a case of systemic lupus, and, while I was going through the clinical features, one of them asked what serositis is." LS began her story.

"That sounds reasonable. They are new to internal medicine." I said.

"True, and therefore I asked them to read it up after the tutorial," she continued.

"Well ...?"

"And then, that student asked how to spell serositis," my friend continued.

I nodded and smiled.

"I asked him to find out from the book," LS went on.

"Don't be upset," I tried to sooth my friend.

"How couldn't I !?" She became more agitated, "You know what. The student immediately retorted: If you do not tell me the spelling, how could I look it up?"

Well, literally that's correct.

No comments: