Sunday, July 3, 2011

Unnecessary

After I overheard that conversion on astronomy, I met L again that evening.

I was still thinking about his comment on our (to him futile) attempts to reduce hospitalization, and could not resist the temptation of asking, "Friend, you might have a point in our discussion a few days ago. But, there are programs that could reduce unnecessary hospital admission - or shorten unneeded hospital stay."

"Alas, I think the explanation is quite obvious?" My friend smiled.

"It's not obvious to me," I grunted. For a moment I thought I were Inspector Thumm and was talking to Drury Lane in The Tragedy of Y.

"So, let me bring you through what I considered," my friend said, "There are actually two possibilities. First, and the more likely one is, the current number of bed does not meet the need, and we always have patients lining up for admission."

I nodded.

"In that case, reducing hospitalization in one aspect would simply be compensated by something - or someone - else. The ward would not thank you." L continued, "More so, the measure that we use to reduce hospitalization still takes money and manpower - nothing is saved. You only increase the health expenditure because you are now treating some patients that could not be admitted under the original arrangement."

"Well, yes, maybe," I considered slowly, "How about if we have no one lining up for admission and the program does create some empty beds?"

"Alas, in that case you boss will certainly urge you to think of something new to fill up the beds - otherwise your unit will face a cut in manpower or money next year!" My friend could not stop laughing.

1 comment:

TW said...

Do you remember our senior administrator once said , "the lowest cost patient is a dead patient." How true it is!