Sunday, November 6, 2011

Conversion

You may ask: How do I find my Kindle?

Not bad. To say the least, the screen is soothing and there's no flash light. (Good for someone with migraine, like me.) I tried the Wifi connection and bought a novel from the Amazon site. Everything was plain sailing. Nonetheless, to save the battery power, I turn off the wireless most of the time, and, if I need to buy new books, I could do it on my desktop computer and move it to the device via a USB cable.

The major difficulty, however, came when I tried to read journal articles. To begin with, it could only open HTML or DOC files after conversion - not convenient. If you download a paper in PDF and pass it to the device, the file could be opened, but, since the paper size is usually A4 or standard letter, you need to zoom in and it is rather complicated to move around a page. The next thing I tried was to open a paper as full text and then print it to PDF after adjusting the paper size to A5. Alas, it comes up perfectly well on the Kindle screen - just that the files are amazingly big (often 15 to 20 MB for each article).

PS. You can also open a full text, save it as HTML only file (rather than a full web page), and then print that file to PDF as A5 pages. The file size becomes much more manageable (generally 300 to 500K). But the process is slightly complicated.

PPS. Which book did I buy to test my new toy?

Why! For sure it was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

No comments: