Friday, November 18, 2011

Match

You may think my worry was far-fetched because genuine bribery in election remains uncommon, and not all policies involve long term benefit.

But, unfortunately, the general idea remains - and is happening more often then you could imagine. There are innumerable topics of a society that people concerned are unable to grasp the whole picture to make a wise decision, while a small group who hold some critical information also have their own agenda.

The best example at hand is the public health policy, or, specifically, the recruitment of overseas medical graduates.

****************************

I shall not elaborate my opinion on that very last topic any further. Frequent visitors of this site would know just too well. Nonetheless, it really touched my nerve when Vivian told me our noble council representative said that manpower allocation was not even across all government hospitals and every department.

"That may be true, but I would be most enlightened if you could give me five examples that a department in a government hospital has a surplus of manpower. I can only name one - the headquarters."

"But, for the same specialty clinic, the waiting list is one week in a hospital, but 15 months in another," my wife tried to defend the surgeon.

"Does it mean that the hospital with a one-week waiting list has an over-supply of doctors, or their chief-of-service is an expert of torturing his staff?"

No comments: