Thursday, December 6, 2012

Age


Shortly after my discussion with L, the result of the Discretionary Places Admission to Primary One (小一自行分派學位) for Euterpe was announced. In the next morning, Vivian took an urgent two-hour leave and rushed to the responsible school in order to get the registration documents.

That evening, when we were at the dining table, I asked if everything was in order.

“Em… yes, except the taxi driver was a bit annoying,” my wife said.

“Well…?” My eyebrow rose.

“You know, I took a taxi to the school, but the taxi driver did not know the way and asked me back.” She explained, “I told him I was not sure, because I’d not been there for 30 years…”

“Yes…?” I knew my wife had not hit the punch line.

“The taxi-driver said that he was surprised because I did not appear to be 50 years of age!”

Of course not; my wife is actually far from 40 – although far is a subjective opinion.

********************
I suddenly remember my friend TW had an almost identical experience in the clinic:

Patient (about to leave after the consultation finished): Doctor, you look really young. Are you 50 already?

TW (trying to squeeze up some smile, as she was not yet 40): Hahaha…

What my friend actually wanted to say was: Don’t go away yet; I need to amend your prescription – how do you want to be poisoned?

No comments: