Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Budget


(In the promotion interview of a junior lecturer of medicine.)

“Dr. X, let’s come straight. Why do you think you should be promoted?” The chairman begins.

“Em… I’ve published lots of papers. Some appear in journals with a high impact factor. I have a few grants, and I have sufficiently pleased my students – alas, I mean my teaching record is reasonably good. I try my best to appear as if I am paying some effort to contribute to the clinical service. Isn’t that good enough?” The young academic staff says calmly.

“Oh, yes, I know all these,” the man with much silver hair waves his hand impatiently, “But, let’s solve the critical question: Who is going to pay for you?”

“What?” Dr. X cannot believe his ears.

“I mean what I say,” the chair professor nods his head (or is he shaking instead?), “If you are promoted to become a senior lecturer, we need to increase your salary correspondingly. The problem is, the budget of our department is fixed, and, therefore, where does the money come from?”

(To be continued.)

No comments: