Friday, July 26, 2013

Classify

(My discussion with L went on.)

"But, we have not consider the philosophical question," L continued, "Do you think it is a good idea to classify our students so that the better ones receive more attention and opportunities?"

"I suppose yes?"

"Why?"

"If I could use some favorite jargon from our friends outside the solar system, I would say classifying our students according to their academic performance is a kind of individualized education. It would also allow a better utilization of resource - teachers, patients, and teaching material. After all, it is a common practice for primary and secondary schools to classify their students according to their examination result so that the teaching could be adjusted." I said.

"Right. For a medical school, we could put more effort to build up better students so that they would have a lead when they continue with training in medicine or surgery after graduation. On the other hand, many other students will end up in general practice or non-clinical jobs. It may be fine to teach them very basic stuff by simple lectures and a minimal amount of bedside teaching." L nodded.

My friend LY told me exactly the same argument some days ago.

No comments: