Saturday, July 13, 2013

Letter

Talking about teaching in a monster university, I suddenly remember a remarkable email many years ago, sent from a medical student who failed in the professional examination.

Here you go:

************************
Sir,

I received this email of yours in less than 24 hours of my departure for Europe.

You first informed us of the dates for Supplementary examination and remedial work in the course in an email last month. By that time, much of the planning of my trip was completed, bookings done and payments of well over ten thousand dollars made.  I felt helpless because there was little I could do, but only tried my best not to fail....but I did. Now if I don't go on the plane tomorrow, I am going to lose close to twenty thousand dollars.

I must say travelling to Europe is not something that one can plan in a few weeks. One has to do very detailed planning and bookings months ahead, especially for students like us who are going on a shoestring, trying to spend as little money as possible.

I am wondering if this is possible at all for us to make alternative arrangements.

Regards, et cetera

No comments: