Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Destiny

The old man was silent for a moment before replying, ""Because I am an explorer and I want you all to be good ones too. By seeing what you all bring back from your exploration, I would know your capability."

"Father, I don't understand." Shuah said.

"You are too young to understand my plan." Abraham shook his head.

"I know your plan," the young man said, "But I cannot understand how the result of the exploration reflects our capability. Ishmael is never good at anything - he just encountered a fertile piece of land. Isaac is hardworking but stubborn, while Zimran's success has no relation with good exploration. Yes, he is bright and picks up an important omission of his brother - but he would achieve nothing if he is alone. Jokshan and Medan are really good explorers, and the failure of the latter has nothing to do with his ability. What valuable thing would you be able to find in the middle of Sahara? I agree Midian is no good - but he is no worse than his eldest brother. His failure is the result of arriving too late at the fertile field. And, is Ishbak a good explorer? Certainly not. He is successful in another domain. Thank goodness he has his own idea and does not confine himself to exploration!"

"You are correct, and you are not." The old man smile disapprovingly, "I believe in Heraclitus: Character is destiny."

No comments: