Friday, December 6, 2013

History

During a recent casual dinner discussion on some sensational literature, Vivian asked whether a deputy chief implies a foreseeable promotion.

I shook my head and laughed, “Alas, don’t you remember the story between our Chairman Mao and Lin Bao (林彪)?”

“You know, I have little interest in the history of modern China,” my wife twisted her lips, “It spoils our soul to read too much about the dark side of human nature.”

“In that case we should also ban Macbeth and Othello and a good many others,” I said to myself, “It really depends on what you make out from a story. Yes, as we learn from Theodore Roosevelt, a man may become capable of stealing the whole railroad by having an university education, and a girl may become the worst crook of all time by learning all dirty tricks from her predecessors – like Ada of the Greene family. On the other hand, it is absolutely necessary to have some experience with the evil spirit before we could appreciate the beauty of all virtue. A soul that has never seen the most sordid part of the world is nothing but naive.”

No comments: