Monday, December 23, 2013

Mass

A critical idea of der Schwarm is a group of unicellular organisms could come together, share their memory (by exchanging their DNA), and come up with a unified action that would benefit the group as a whole.

Alas, that may be true for amoeba and other protozoa – but never for multicellular organisms.

(No, not necessarily Homo sapiens. Invertebrates and mollusks are all the worse.)

*************************
Let me go backward and tell you a slightly convoluted story I recently encountered.

It goes like this: On a few unrelated occasions in the past few weeks, I was asked to give an outline on what should be planned for the coming five years – research projects, space, dialysis facility, and clinical service in Hong Kong.

And, it was exactly for that last topic, on the day after the meeting with our professor of obstetrics (who talked about Nelson Mandela), I was summoned to Sirius to attend a Mass.

Em… our extraterrestrial friends actually called their Mass a different name, in which there were 50 or 60 creatures of all kinds, from the Earth as well as other planets. Well, I must say I could only see a religious value of that gathering. As Philo Vance often said, I was so impressed that I lost my nerve.

Let me tell you what happened tomorrow.

No comments: