Sunday, December 29, 2013

Frozen

Vivian and I brought our princesses to watch Frozen the movie during the Christmas holiday.

To begin with, as an adult with a convoluted mind, I am sure I see little point watching this cartoon of Disney. Well, I am almost right. The story is remotely related to Andersen’s The Snow Queen, and, as a musical for kids, the plot is expectedly weak and sometimes unrealistic. For example, why should Prince Hans refuse to kiss Anna? Since Elsa is regarded by everyone as a monster and there is only her younger sister to rule the country, any crook in a sane mind would jump to that opportunity and seize the crown.

Em… I must say my criticism is undoubtedly biased because I watched the 2D Cantonese version; all the songs are converted to Chinese and I am not able to determine how good they are in their original English appearance. Alas, I can’t really understand why the songs need to be converted to Chinese.  After all, do we expect asking some American pop stars to sing for Yam Kim-Fai (任劍輝) and Bak Sheut-Sin (白雪仙) when a gweilo watches The Flowery Daughter of the Emperor (帝女花)?

PS. The best part of the film is, you know what, the cartoon of Mickey and Minnie that appeared at the beginning as a prologue. It is hardly a story and, I believe, has no hidden meaning. Nonetheless, it is immensely funny and entertaining.

The good old traditional Disney is really beyond comparison.

No comments: