Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Suitcase

My recent leisure reading is The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis.

I get this paperback from my friend and take it as an ordinary thriller detective fiction, like Il Suggeritore that I read some months ago (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.hk/2013/06/suggeritore.html).

Well, by and large it is – but not for me or someone with my background. The story has much to do with kidney transplant and organ trafficking, so much so that I could not see it from a layman point of view. I still consider it an excellent reading, but I would hardly agree the story is realistic.

Nonetheless, I must have to accept happenings in real life is often not realistic.

PS. To me, the most drastic part of the story is how the mother of that boy was drugged and imposed as an alcoholic. Quite some details are given, and it all seems very doable.

I fancy we shall see some famous people coming to us as similar cases in real life in the near future.

1 comment:

KM Chow said...

I didn't read your book, Szeto, but happened to come across a rather controversial Wall Street Journal essay on buying kidney. One of the authors is a Nobel Prize-winning professor of economics.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304149404579322560004817176