Sunday, February 23, 2014

Yaiba

My recent leisure reading is by Samayou Yaiba (徬徨之刄) by Keigo Higashino (東野圭吾).

You may notice I read quite many novels by Keigo (and Miyabe Miyuki and so forth) every now and then. That’s largely the result of supply creating demand. My friend AL is a fan of the famous Japanese author and, until very recently, she keeps giving me novels that she finished reading. I consider it an excellent habit. After all, what good is there to leave used books on the shelf and let them putrefy?

How about the book?

Well, it is not an ordinary one of Keigo. The element of detection and deduction is minimal, and the focus of the story is not the case of murder. Keigo is more ambitious here and tries to discuss a difficult sociological problem: How a society should treat young criminals?

Unfortunately, Seicho Matsumoto (松本清張) is never my cup of tea.

No comments: