Thursday, May 14, 2009

Aspirin

You may think I'm not altogether satisfied about the reluctance of our students in trying some aspirin themselves. (That may be true.) On the other hand, I should be very thankful for not having that chance when I was a student.

Because I have aspirin allergy.

Oh, to be specific, I have a history of bronchospasm after taking aspirin.

It came to my attention when I was half way through my houseman rotation. On one occasion, I was badly hit by a severe flu, for which I had to take a day of sick leave (a very rare happening in those days). While struggling alone in the hostel with chills and aches, I found myself using up all my stock of panadol (which I usually keep a lot for my headache), but there was a few tablets of aspirin leaving behind.

I bought them in order to try and see if it is any stronger than panadol.

Yes, it gives a much louder breath sound with a high pitch - we call it wheeze.

The lesson ?

Don't try new things when you are in a series of bad luck.

No comments: