Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Drug

While I was about to finish with Barbara Backer's book, NT called for a meeting to review some panel teaching of our (year 2 and 3) students.

For historical reasons, I was in the group to represent clinical pharmacologist. (It always puzzles me who made the nomination.) After we went through the students' comments and feedback, one point was raised by our pharmacologist:

"Is it necessary to continue with this practical session ?" He pointed at one line of the timetable.

We all came across and looked, but, for a moment, had some difficulty to figure out what he meant.

"Oh, this one - on pharmacokinetics." He went on, "In the session, students are asked to take a drug and have their urine collected to see the profile of drug excretion."

NT asked, "It has been there for ages. Why do you want to change ?"

"Em ... very few students agree to try the drug themselves and have their urine checked in the experiment." The scientist hesitated to explain.

"What drug are the students asked to try ?"

"A tablet of aspirin."

PS. As sort of a bystander, I humbly suggested to use a can of beer, instead of any drug tablet, for the experiment.

They all gave me a cold stare.

3 comments:

JW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JW said...

For your information, I had a very severe attack of angioedema and bronchospasm after taking aspirin when I was in Med 1. That was the first time I realised that aspirin can kill.

Vincent Wong said...

I also took aspirin in that experiment and developed severe epigastric pain. If the dose was bigger, I might be able to join KL's first NSAID trial.