Friday, May 8, 2009

Milk

Using a can of goat milk powder for my coffee recently.

The milk powder is a kind of nutritional supplement that Vivian bought for our daughter; I could see the latter screwing up her face with the first sip.

Alas, in order not to waste anything, I have to take it up for my own consumption.

And it doesn't take long before I know why Euterpe doesn't like it - you could smell the mutton flavor a mile away. For a while a scene in Mrs. McGinty's Death flashed back over my mind; I looked at my cup, and, following Hercule Poirot, forced the suspicious brown liquid through my throat.

But, it's not the Black Coffee - it's not poisonous, and it wasn't even bitter at all. The grease of goat had a strange chemical reaction with caffeine and made it way stronger. After the cup I felt a gush of joy - just like the ancestor of the ruminant that gave rise to the milk powder, when it first ate some berries in the highlands of Ethiopia.

No comments: