Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Curriculum

My recent bedtime reading is The Weekly Curriculum Book by Barbara Backer.

Oh, it has nothing to do with our teaching on medical students. The book describe how to plan the curriculum for a child - I just want to have a glimpse on how it is done.

Although I am always skeptical with kindergarten education, this little volume is an eye-opening experience. To say the least, I learn what are the aspects to be covered (i.e. language, physical, craft work, and so forth), and how to touch on every aspect when a particular topic (for example, the Mother's Day) comes up.

Rather similar to the planning of a medical curriculum.

Alas, I always go back to where I start.

PS. I bought the book last year during my trip to Kuala Lumpur as an invited speaker. There was a huge bookstore within 5 minutes walk from the convention center, and I used the small honorarium to buy a gift for myself.

No comments: