Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memo

Towards the end of the final MB, one particular student gave AL - our chairman's assistant - a surprise while leaving the examination hall.

He shouted some incomprehensible words in front of the other students, who were about to come in for the OSCE.

Dumbfounded for a moment, AL finally came back and told me the happenings. I considered for a while, "Do you recognize which student ?"

"Yes, of course."

"In that case let's call him back and ask him to meet me in my office this afternoon." I said, "As a formality, please issue a memo with the same information and post it on the student notice board." I went on and dictated a memo that and there. AL typed it herself and said, "Maureen will ring him up; I shall send this by email on behalf of you."

I was incredulous, "Why don't we make a hard copy and put it on their notice board ? That would be way more deterrent."

"Don't you know we could no longer put up memo of this kind on their board ? A few years ago a student complained that putting up examination result - with their names or student ID - in a public place impinges on their privacy. Nowadays we could only send these things by email."

I could not believe my ears.

PS. The incident also shows that I have also emigrated out of the earth.

2 comments:

JW said...

What I have learned from parenting book is: If you are always submissive to your kids, they will become spoiled child.

Vickie said...

I disagree with both of you. It's about respect and rights, not about being submissive or lenient. Just because someone happens to be your junior or student or child AND foolish does not make them any less of a human. It's something that even I didn't receive growing up in my time; but that didn't make me believe anyone else doesn't deserve that.