Monday, October 11, 2010

Advance

The grand round was actually delivered by my friend KM and a few others. It was about the hot potato advance directive.

I must say I always find it difficult to understand why the extra-terrestrials put up so much interest in this topic - the effort is almost certain to no avail. When the talk was about to close, I told GY, who happened to be standing next to me, "What for? It's just like bringing a iPad to the African jungle and tell all those aboriginal that thin sheet of metal is fantastic and they should make good use of it. Yes, the gadget is superb, but they have no hope of understanding it - not to say using it regularly !"

My friend laughed, "You are getting more humorous with your age !"

I didn't tell him it's because I did not use my Listerine® recently.

*****************************

If you think it's too cynical to compare jungle aboriginal to our local people, maybe a little story during the First Sino-Japanese War (甲午戰爭) would suit your palate.

For those not familiar with the history, the War was a sea battle between the Qing (清) empire and Japan, shortly after the establishment of the Beiyang Fleet (北洋艦隊) by the former. Yes, the Chinese battleships (mostly made in Britain) were superb, and the cannons represented the most advanced model. Nonetheless, the Qing side failed miserably - an outcome accurately predicted by Togo Heihachiro (東鄉平八郎), the fleet admiral of the Imperial Japanese Navy ...

... because the Qing soldiers used the cannon for hanging their underpants.

1 comment:

TW said...

Advance directive => totally agree with you, is a foreign language for our society and local culture.

Imagine how to convince my 80+ yo grandma into this, " grandma, I think you are too old and it is probably futile to do anything invasive to prolong your suffering etc etc... what do you think? " Haha, I think my mom will kill me.