Friday, October 1, 2010

Minimum

While I was discussing what are allowed and prohibited for our house officers, KL - one of our star professors and an excellent teacher - sent me an email.

Here it goes:

************************

Hi Szeto,

I was asked to give a 5-min talk on "What are the minimum essential practical procedures our students should be competent in and how do we ensure they are trained?" in the curriculum retreat tomorrow. Frankly, I feel uneasy about this question and therefore I borrowed your wisdom in my ppt presentation. I hope this does not constitute plagerism.

Best, et cetera.

************************

My friend was referring to two of my blogs in August (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2010/08/parents.html and http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2010/08/spoiled.html).

In return, let me play plagerism and show you a few slides of his, which explains why he was uneasy:
  • Why do we need to ask this question?
  • Are our students overwhelmed with practical procedures?
  • If our students are incompetent, will setting a “minimum” improve outcome?
  • If the procedures are essential, should there be a minimum?
  • If a student fails to meet the minimum, will there be a “minimum” of the minimum?
  • What kind of message or philosophy are we trying to deliver to our students?
  • Our core curriculum: a bare bone - Aren’t we offering the minimum already?
  • Our core curriculum: Still too much? (Is the bone too big or the doggy too small?)
  • “minimum” + “essential” + “practical”: Isn’t it common (clinical) sense?
  • If we agree this is common sense, are we undermining our students’ intelligence?
  • Or… !?

No comments: