Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Name

(My discussion with L continued.)

"But I'm confused," seeing that almost everyone is going to make a claim sooner or later, I asked, "That is not insurance."

"You're right. If you put aside some money regularly and plan to use it some time later, we call that saving," my friend explained, "Of course you could argue the money to be used would be variable; everyone roughly pays the same amount, but some end up using little while other unfortunate ones may need a huge compensation - we call that indirect tax. In fact, by the very nature of human being, everyone would try to maximize his claim to get the most of the benefit - that's surely a way to increase the overall health expenditure in the society."

"Saving? Tax? But we are told it is an insurance !" I exclaimed.

"You read Shakespeare ?" my friend smiled.

"Yes ...?" I could not see his point.

"What's in a name? That which we called a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet." Suddenly my friend became Juliet.

"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't!" I could not help but had to play Lady Macbeth.

No comments: