Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wardrobe

A hot topic recently amongst our colleagues is the furniture in their new office.

(For those who are not working in my hospital, we are moving to the new block, and most of our colleagues have their office relocated there as well.)

Oh, I mean the lack of furniture - there is no chair or desk or bookshelf or file cabinet.

But, there is a spacious wardrobe.

Many of us could not understand why people need such a voluminous space to put their coats and jackets.. Nonetheless, I believe the reason is obvious - the one who designed the office was obviously living in a planet with a surface temperature of 55-degree Kelvin, and always needs to put on a lot of clothes.

For example, the Pluto.

******************************

Just a little story come across my mind.

In 1935, when Albert Einstein first arrived at Princeton took up a position at the Institute for Advanced Study, the secretary asked what furniture he needed for his new place.

"Very few," he answered, "I need a small desk, a chair, and a gigantic rubbish bin - so that I could throw in all my mistakes."

No comments: