Sunday, October 17, 2010

Selection

Met YH and FY, two of my friends from surgery, in the canteen.

The latter was not very happy.

"You know, the quality of our theatre nurse is hitting a new low every day." She sighed.

Without a personal experience, I looked at YH, who returned a curious smile.

"That's a process of natural selection," FY continued, "If they are competent, there's never short of attractive posts from private hospitals. The very fact that they are staying here means that they have some problem, in terms of either ability or personality."

I nodded and could not agree more. The same phenomenon may also applies to doctors.

"And they understand this point very well," she went on, "Since there is no way out, they turn their energy to small circles and politics - often disguised under the name administration!"

Subtly I reminded my friend that the problem does not only happen in the theatre.

No comments: