Friday, October 8, 2010

Leftover

That evening, while I was thumbing through my birthday present, a remarkable recipe drew my attention:

It was Leftover roast chicken salad.

Yes, it sounds plain enough. But, after reading no fewer than a dozen of cookbooks, it is one of the few recipes that described how to make use of leftovers.

But that's what many of the domestic chefs need ! Look, we do not hold a feast at home everyday (not even every week), and, if we do need one, most of us would prefer go to the restaurant and being served, rather than spending several hours in the kitchen so that our face is covered with sweat and grease. In contrast, we need a cookbook to show us the way to prepare the day-in-day-out stuff and how to make use of residual material. For example, how to revive a loaf of overnight bread when it becomes hard and dry, what to do for that piece of tasteless meat from the Chinese soup (老火湯), or what you could make up of from a few pieces of chicken you brought home from the wedding banquet last night ?

I am sure that does more good to our environment than boasting about global warming.

PS. I fancy I would write a book of this kind after my retirement. And, that night, I could already think of the name of the book.

Let's call it 《餘味無窮》.

No comments: