Friday, September 7, 2012

Eslite


The one place in Taiwan that most of us must pay a visit to is the Eslite (誠品) bookstore.

And, believe it or not, Vivian and I brought Euterpe to it three times in four days – not because we love reading (yes, we do), but because it is a good place to take some rest, and, since there are more books than an ordinary library, each of us could identify something that we find interesting and spend a good hour.

Yes, even for Euterpe.

We try not to buy too many books. (My personal obsession is I will make sure I read every book I buy.) My daughter picked a colorful volume called Q&A of Insects, while I chose this one:

Strategy, Tactics, Weapons – volume 7 (ancient China) 《戰略戰術兵器事典:中國中古篇》

PS. If you take it as a business model, Eslite could hardly be considered profitable. However, when I see it as a self-sustained cultural mission, it is highly successful and has make a dramatic impact to the community who read traditional Chinese.

No comments: