Thursday, September 27, 2012

Question

While my weird story about Dr. W and Professor C was stirring up the water a little, I went to Shanghai with my friend LS for some exchange teaching with a medical school there.

The event went like this: We set off early on a Saturday morning and arrived before noon. After a quick lunch, LS and I each gave a two-hour lecture to a group of postgraduate students there. In essence we outlined our own work, trying to emphasize how to turn a research idea into a real project.

(A few of the audience were basic scientists but most had a medical degree. I was later told that they need a PhD degree to secure a trainee post in any major hospital.)

After we finished with the lecture, LS and I dined with two representatives from their side. Then,  the two of us had the climax of the day: another two hours of Q&A session.

Yes, we sat on the stage, and the postgraduate students from the audience asked questions – about our work, about their own projects, and sometimes about problems of real life clinical practice. 

To my surprise, almost all of them had something to ask.

“What an enthusiastic group!” I said to myself.

(To be continued.) 

No comments: