Friday, October 19, 2012

Advocate

"No because I actually have much respect to most professional practitioners of traditional medicine," L explained, "I have more worry about those unprofessional advocates of alternative medical treatment."

"Who are they?" I asked.

"They are... em...," my friend hesitated and considered for a moment, "Let me tell you a little story I encountered this morning in the clinic. A young woman came for regular follow up - what disease she has is quite immaterial - asked if her disease could be benefited by a remedy of assorted vegetable oils that is highly praised by a famous columnist."

"Alas!" I knew what L was referring to. By coincidence I read the same newspaper and all mystical effects of flaxseed oil. "Well, what did you tell your patient?" I asked with a smile - trying to imagine how my cynical friend looked like when he was talking to that woman.

"I just said if a remedy is effective for treating a certain disease - cancer or allergy or what not - I shall remain humble and ask for the evidence; and, if there is none, I can only conclude further studies are needed," L recalled, "But, if that remedy is claimed to be effective for treatment of cancers and allergy and insomnia and hepatitis and thyroid problems and many others, I shall be very skeptical."

I cannot agree more.

No comments: