Sunday, October 7, 2012

Number


You may ask: In that case, how many types of stocks should we hold for optimal, but not excessive, diversification?

I have no cut-and-dry answer.

When I first study how to pick stocks and build a portfolio, I was told that the ability of diversification (i.e. spreading the risk of a portfolio) reaches a peak when you hold 7 stocks. Any further increase in the number does not help to reduce the risk because it is likely that some of the stocks would have the risk overlap with each other. The statistical jargon is there is internal correlation.

(Unfortunately, I cannot find the reference or origin of this very number.)

How about me? At this moment, I owned 13 different stocks. In general, I try to keep it below 15 but at least 5. There was a brief moment during the financial tsunami that I hold only 3 stocks (Hong Kong China Gas, Link, and Yip’s Chemical). I don’t think this situation will ever happen again.

No comments: