Monday, October 15, 2012

Murder

Met my friend L again on my way home. As usual, he was reading his favorite weekly magazine with a curious smile.

"Hey! What's up this time?" I tapped on his shoulder.

"Oh, I'm just thinking of the famous sayings of Hamlet," he said.

"Which?"

"For murder, though it have no tongue, will speak with most miraculous organ," L explained, "Nonetheless, it remains eye-opening to see a murderer comes out and speaks to the media that he is only responsible for collecting the money and has nothing to do with the killing!"

"Or, as Theodore Roosevelt said, a man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad," I remarked, "In this case, when I hear that our unfortunate colleague is banned from practice for two years due to a wrong injection, I cannot refrain from thinking of the old sayings of Zhuangzi (莊子) : We penalize someone who steals a hook; but for the one who steals a country, we make him a Duke (竊鉤者誅,竊國者侯)."

No comments: