Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Never

For some political reasons, I was summoned to a dinner gathering by the godfather of medicine.

The man who used to have a moustache was also invited but he came late. As usual, he led the conversation around the table as soon as he made the appearance.

“You know, I am busy with some internal audit,” he said.

“And what do you find?” We all asked.

“Alas, I wouldn’t quote specific incidents,” he smiled, “Nonetheless, I see very well that many medical schools are not healthy nowadays.”

We made an inviting grunt – I’m sure he was not pinpointing at the one north to the Lion Rock Tunnel.

“Let me tell you an incident I overheard,” he went on with the following story:

*******************
Shortly before the final MB examination, a final year student told his classmate, “You know what? I met the external examiner in the loo.”

His classmate was surprised, “How do you know that’s the external examiner? How does he look like?”

The student described a formally dressed, serious-looking old man, and added, “After all, I could not recognize who he is.”

“Why!” His classmate yelled, “He is our professor of surgery! We have not seen him because he never teaches any student!”

No comments: