Thursday, October 18, 2012

TCM

“I mean, although the murderer and process of killing are relatively obvious in this case, far more people die of – or, to say the least, are affected by other subtle means,” L looked grim.

“Such as…?” I must say I did not quite understand what my friend was talking about.

“Such as pseudo-science and pseudo-medicine,” he replied with a twist on his lips.

“Alas, since I know you for such a long time and know your bias well, I understand exactly what you are getting at,” I smiled, “You mean herbs and other traditional remedies, right?”

“Yes and no,” my friend shook his head, “Yes in the sense that they are often an annoying lot – or I would say they are the bat of medicine in Aesop’s Fables. Depending on the audience and situation, the same remedy could be regarded as specific treatment of a disease, measures for the maintenance of general health, or simply a food supplement. No regulation of any form is possible because the remedy always belongs to a different category.”

“Quite true. In fact, once I learn the circular argument of these people, I come to realize why the Americans put food and drug under the same administration,” I nodded, "But what do you mean by No?"

No comments: