Saturday, February 2, 2013

Farm


While I was considering the (lack of) benefit of organic farming, Vivian and I joined the school outing of Adler’s kindergarten.

Alas, we visited a local farm.

The place is closed to the border, and, although claimed to be a farm, it is really meant for family trip and school activities. There are some goats and bunnies for you to feed (with a charge on the grass and carrot, of course). Various types of plants were grown here and there. Some short classes are scheduled throughout the day if you wish to have some hand-on experience of farming. For the children, there are some games and facilities to play as well.

Neither Euterpe nor Adler is very interested in games, and we spent much of the time seeing rather than doing things. I must say I was initially impressed by the fine collection of agricultural product and livestock put up by the farm, and it seems really a good to let our children have more exposure to the nature and cultivate their interest in protecting the environment. But, on reflection, I began to think of Philo Vance and wondered if I was seeing too perfect a demonstration.

No comments: