Saturday, February 23, 2013

Study


My recent leisure reading is The Evernote Bible by Brandon Collins.

Some of my friends may notice this one actually jumps the queue amongst the list of books that I plan to read, and it is really no leisure reading what-so-ever.

It is, in essence, the advanced user manual of Evernote, the program that I regularly use for organizing information - things to do, contacts, meeting notes, literature search, and what not. Contrary to the usual belief, the program does not store each and every piece of notes in a highly organized tree-like architecture (like DOS, Windows, or Mac). Yes, there are notebooks and tags, but nothing more. The filing system is loose and deliberately chaotic. The edge is, it has a search function as good as any, and you can always find the notes you want to refer to with a few clicks.

You may ask: If I am satisfied with what I could do with the program, why should I bother to read the manual?

Well, as John Barrow says:
An amateur studies what he likes.
A professional also studies what he doesn't like.

No comments: