Saturday, July 26, 2014

New

There are two layers of my bitter feeling that may skip your eyes. Yes, I am slightly annoyed with our great great ancestors, who are obsessive with moral and would never miss a single chance to teach us to become a saint. (Alas! See what saints they were able to cultivate in the past 3000 years!)

However, I am even more disappointed when I ask: Why couldn't we - modern Chinese - think of some funny stories for our children?

You see? In the English world, there are classical ones (such as Hans Christian Andersen and Brothers Grimm), but we also have in the past twenty years the refreshing Biff and Kipper, Dr. Seuss... and, most recently, Anna and Elsa. (Oh, that's a movie, I know. But the idea is there.) For Chinese, on the other hand, the stories that I mentioned yesterday (about a poet, an elephant, a frog, and a silly man - in that order) were already for there hundreds if not thousands of years. What new stories do we have for our own children in the past 100 years? I cannot think of any.

And we call ourselves a strong country with an astronomical market.

No comments: