Tuesday, July 22, 2014

SWOT

Met my friend L again while I was leaving the hospital on a Saturday.

As always, he was having a curious smile. After exchanging hello, I pointed at the thick folder in his hands and asked, "What's up?"

He showed me a blank sheet of paper and said, "I am asked to complete this form for the SWOT analysis of my team. You know, this is the third time in the past 6 months!"

I nodded, for I have the same experience. For those who are fortunate enough to be lack of such an experience, SWOT analysis is a structured method that evaluates the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats of an organization.

"My friend, doing a SWOT may take up your time and be inconvenient, but it helps, doesn't it?" I asked.

"Help what? This acronym gadget is often the romantic idea of those who pretended to have an MBA degree,” my friend suddenly became serious, “SWOT is useful for company or personal review, when you try to figure out the further direction of development. However, when your aim and direction is already fixed, SWOT doesn’t really tell you how to get there. What I am seeing is the CEO of a company has a clear aim and direction and asks his subordinates – section leaders or whatever – to come up with execution plans. What these middle level leaders do, however, is asking each and everyone of their team to submit a SWOT analysis of the organization, which are compiled and submitted.”

“I know how we call this tactic,” I laughed, “They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement. My friend, you should read Yes, Prime Minister!”

No comments: