Sunday, July 27, 2014

Technique

Talking about suitable books for my princesses, my recent leisure reading is The Technique of Reading (閱讀的技法) by Masaru Sato (佐藤優).

Frequent visitors of this site would know I have a particular interest in the method of reading and time management. The first book of this field that I ever read was Speed-Reading published by Reader's Digest, and my favorite author for a long time is Yasumasa Kurukawa (黑川康正), which I alluded to some years ago (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.hk/2008/11/kurukawa.html).

However, Sato's book is quite a misnomer. The author, in reality, used to be diplomatic officer of the Japanese government, specialized in the relation with Russia and Eastern Europe. For that reason, over 80% of the book is about the history and origin of racial conflicts in that part of the world, as well as the actual practice of communism in Russia (before the time of Vladimir Putin, of course). Sata also uses a considerable length to discuss the causes and consequences of the assassination of Inukai Tsuyoshi (犬養毅), as well as the reasons of invading China from the Japanese perspective.

A good read to widen my view.

No comments: