Thursday, August 14, 2014

Haruki

In the next evening, I had the opportunity to dine with a group of doctors and business representatives from other countries.

I must say our conversation was nothing but a random flight of ideas. Someone talked about Japanese sake (清酒), next on whisky, then Johnny Walker, and, finally, we ended up discussing Kafka on the Shore (海邊的卡夫卡) of Haruki Murakami (村上春樹) – a book that I read not too long ago.

For that reason, I could recall quite a bit of the details of the book, and my friends at the dinning table were all surprised.

“Are you a fan of Haruki Murakami?” One of them asked.

“Oh, no, far from it,” I shook my head, “I have only read three of his novels – Norwegian Wood, South of the Border, West of the Sun, and Kafka on the Shore. He’s really not my cup of tea.”

“Why?”

“There’s no scientific reason, just that his writings doesn’t suite my palate. As to potential Nobel Prize winners, I prefer reading Milan Kundera.”

No comments: