Friday, August 15, 2014

Hoshino

I must say after reading Norwegian Wood and South of the Border, West of the Sun some 20 years ago, I actually came to the conclusion that Haruki Murakami is not an author that I should pursue, and I would not have read any other novel of his – if not for a title "Kafka".

“You know, if I did have a second degree given for the period of my medical school study, it must be a degree on Kafka. During year two, I spent almost half of my time reading everything about this Czech author – not only all his work, but all books about him.” I told the others.

**********************
I shall not pretend I understand what Haruki Murakami is trying to express in Kafka on the Shore. My gut feeling is, by using that very title, Haruki intends to discuss the topic that the Czech existentialist wished to talk about in all his work. However, I could vaguely sense a story about the confusion in tradition and value faced by modern Japanese. Johnnie Walker must die, and so do Miss Saeki and Satoru Nakata. On the other hand, Kafka Tamura should return to reality after Walker and Saeki leave the stage.

And, there is the inconspicuous Hoshino - the truck driver, who opened his eyes while following Nakata throughout their journey in Shikoku. I consider him an indispensable character in the drama.

No comments: