Sunday, August 31, 2014

Reading

Shortly after we were back from Hokkaido, Vivian and I paid a visit to a local bookstore to buy some children’s book for Adler.

“What did you read when you were a child?” My wife asked on our way home.

 “The Children Paradise (兒童樂園) was very popular in my days but it’s not my cup of tea – too many pictures but very few words.” I said, “There was another periodical called The Joyful Bee (樂蜂報) at that time which I regularly read in the barber’s. The layout is less attractive and it has many more words, but the stories are generally more complicated.”

“How about books?”

“My dear, you know just too well I did not have the luxury of having any children’s book. In contrast, I began reading newspaper since I was four, and I learn a lot by doing so – in those days editor was a prestigious job and newspaper articles were all written in a decent language."

No comments: