Thursday, October 2, 2014

Discriminate

“But I’m serious,” I went on to explain, “The very fact is, I have no problem to accept people with a different culture or sexual preference, but I would have difficulty if they actively promote what they are doing!”

“Such as…?”

“Let me use ethnic minority as an example. In this city, if I have a dedicated Muslim colleague, it is absolutely fine to allow him praying five times a day. However, if he proposes to have the first day of Ramadan as a government holiday, I would hardly agree.”

“I see.”

“Another example is same-sex marriage. I have a handful of friends who are homosexual. That’s an open secret and I have no problem to work or make friend with them. In fact, if one of them invite me to his wedding banquet, I am quite happy to join. However, I would feel rather uneasy if they stand up and fight for a legal right to get married. If something is slightly out-of-the-way, we could accept and bear with it, but we cannot say it is right.”

No comments: