Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Distinguish

L looked serious to my question, “I’m not sure. As Tsao Chip (陶傑) loves to say, it may not be a good idea to accommodate too much of a minority group – especially when these people are extremists.”

“Good point. The problem is, what should we do if we live in a place where extremists and supporters of dictatorship appear to be the majority?”

“My friend, that’s a more profound problem.” He nodded.

“On a second thought, however, I would have to disagree with your original proposition,” I said, “Some ideas are not meant to be spread, and we could easily distinguish freedom of holding an idea from permission to promulgate that idea. “

“Really? What kind of idea are you talking about?”

“I mean ideas that come from certain personal characteristics that could not be modified, for example, the race or sexual preference of a person.”

“Oh, my god!” L exclaimed, “You open the Pandora Box!”

No comments: