Saturday, October 18, 2014

Scholarship

A hot topic amongst the alumni of my university is the withdrawal of scholarship donation by a listed company.

To begin with, it soon turns out to be a kind of practical joke because the company has not been donating to our university in the recent years. (In fact, to the best of my knowledge, this company has never donate anything to my university.)

But, the joke becomes a laughing stock when we realize that this company, with an operating profit close to HK$130 million last year, used to donate around HK$20,000 each year to our colleagues over the other side of the Victoria Harbour. Quite a number of my friends feel that they could afford a regular charity of this kind and are eager to make their name known to our students.

Alas, I must say I have the temptation to make a similar donation as well. Nonetheless, I am humble and shall not put up my name as the title of the scholarship.

I shall call it Chun Wo Development Holdings Refuse To Donate Memorial Scholarship (俊和發展集團拒絕捐贈紀念獎學金).

No comments: