Friday, October 3, 2014

Right

L looked serious to my sayings, "My friend, you are inviting enemy from all die-hard fans of equal opportunity!"

"That may be true," I nodded, "It obviously depends on for whom and what opportunity you are pursuing to be equal. If you talk about an equal right to get married, let me give you an extreme example: How would you respond if a Catholic priest or a Buddhist monk is making such a request? Silly, of course. By choosing to be a priest or a monk, you give up the right of getting married. I would therefore argue, two men who choose to fall in love do give up the same right. No, I'm not against them. As I said, if I have two friends holding a banquet to declare their relation, I shall be more than happy to attend and share their happiness."

"I cannot say I agree with you. As an academic, the two groups that you mention are not strictly comparable. It could be argued that getting married is a human right and you are compromising that right of a minority group."

"It depends on your definition of human right." I said, "I fully support all people - irrespective to their ethnic origin, religion and sexual preference - should have the same opportunity of taking up a job, getting into the university, or vote in an election. However, getting marry is a different matter."

"How could you say that?"

No comments: